This course provides a broad overview of residential interior
design for individuals considering a career in the industry, or simply wishing
on their own design projects at a more skilled level.
The approach is practical and hands-on, with a combination of
lecture, demonstration, studio exercises, field trips, small research
assignments, and fun group ‘design challenges’.
Learn how to:
- evaluate interiors based on the elements and principles of design
- use colour theory to create colour schemes
- use the design process to specify requirements, establish priorities, and create ideal solutions
- identify major design styles, select furniture, coordinate with existing finishes, and plan furniture layouts
- conduct client interviews and build relationships
- describe types of light and use basic lighting techniques to create desired effects
- communicate design concepts through drawings, floor plans, and simple sketches
- optimize kitchen & bathroom layouts; assess finishes and make the best choices for functionality & style
- incorporate art and accessories to create environments that are unique and that truly reflect the client
- use a variety of visual presentation materials and techniques to create compelling sample boards
Course Length: 6 weeks, 36 hours
Materials Needed: Drawing Supplies, simple hand drafting tools, measuring tape.
Materials will be reviewed during the first class.
Course Hours: 5:30pm-8:30pm. Tuesdays & Thursdays
Fees: $495.00 taxes included.
is Interior Design?
of Interior Design
of course and final project
Using drafting tools, and translating room measurements into hand-drafted floor
plans to scale
of Interior Design
to the Design Process
with Clients (Client Interview, Idea files)
Developing colour schemes; coordinating colours, fabrics, and finishes
Challenge: the Ugly Sofa
trip: The Design District
Presentation Skills (one and two point perspective drawing)
floor plans and drawings
Trip: Kitchen and Bath Showroom
and Bath Design (finishes and layouts)
and techniques for Presentation Boards
Challenge: Make It Work
Studio Design time: Assembly of Presentation Boards
of Interior Design program
The instructor made us all feel comfortable no matter what our skill set was.
Great course to get a feel of if interior design is the right career choice for me!
Definitely a worthwhile class. If you have an interest in interior design and would like to learn more about the field this is an excellent way to get started and get a taste of what it means to be an interior designer. I'm glad I went! Jessica P.
An excellent choice for anyone interested in learning Interior Design!
This class is very beneficial towards interior design. I enjoyed the class, assignments and the instructor! I have learned so much and I am excited to see what's next for me in the future with interior design.
Great Introductory class
PDA is for everyone. Whether you want to learn something new as a hobby or possible career path, this is the place to be. Intimate class sizes and educated, caring instructors make your learning experience unforgettable.
Donna is patient, professional and has a lot of information to share.